28 January 2010

My Favorite Scriptures

I have two favorite scriptures that I would like to share.

Joshua 1:9
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest.

I have a problem with fear. I have really changed since I became a mom. I have had anxiety and tend to be afraid of a lot of things. I worry a lot and try to remind myself to not worry about things that haven't even happened yet. It is a work in progress.
This scripture teaches me to not be afraid - that it is actually a commandment from God. I do not need to fear because I can have faith that Heavenly Father knows exactly what is going on in my life. knows how much I can handle, and knows exactly what challenges I need in my life to grow.

Doctrine and Covenants 58:26-29
26. For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for his that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
27. Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and to bring to pass much righteousness:
28. For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.
29. But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with a doubtful heart, and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned.

I need to be anxiously engaged in a good cause daily. Often I waste a lot of time and look back and think about all the good I could have done with that time. I love the first phrase of verse 28; it reminds me that I am powerful and I do have a divine nature and can do a lot of good in my lifetime.

No comments: