09 June 2015

911 call

Today I called 911 because I thought Eli was choking.  We were in the family room together and I noticed that he was chewing on our toy vacuum.  I told him to get it out of his mouth and then walked into my room.  I called my mom and Ruby was talking to her on FaceTime and then Eli walked in my room for a second and was holding his mouth and neck like he was going to throw up.  We went to the bathroom together and he spit some stuff up in the toilet.  He was still breathing, but I thought that he had probably swallowed a piece of plastic from the vacuum.  I tried to give him the Heimlich maneuver, but nothing came out.  I was really scared that he was going to stop breathing and that there was something that needed to come out.  I hung up with my mom and called 911.  They told me to not hit him on the back and just stay on the phone until the EMT came.  Eli was continuing to throw up some and coughing and gagging.  I directed Diego to go downstairs and open the door for the EMTs.  He did and they got here quickly.  I screamed for them to come upstairs.  They checked Eli out a little and didn't think anything was obstructing his airway.  They asked him some questions and then asked him to go downstairs.  We waited a few more minutes for the ambulance to arrive.  The firemen left and then the paramedics took over.  He listened to his breathing, took his pulse, and just looked him over.  Everything was normal. 
We figured Eli had just inhaled some dust and dirt from the toy.  Poor guy.  I was pretty freaked out and I think he was too.  I asked Diego if he had gotten scared and he said no and Ruby barely even noticed anything.
I'm so thankful for 911, EMT's, ambulances and paramedics!   

No comments: