Today was our first full day in Mexico City. Cesar, Eli, and I are here on vacation for 10 days. Cesar grew up here and can't believe he is back here after 12 years! We saw a lot today! We walked around Cesar's old high school. It was very nice- it is a church high school and felt very peaceful compared to right outside of its gates. Mexico City is a busy busy city! There are people everywhere, cars everywhere, and horns honking for no known reason. People here drive so aggressivly and crazy. It scares me to death. We rented a car and Cesar did a good job driving today. I actually have anxiety when I am in the car with other people in Denver, but here it is magnified so much. Drivers swerve in and out of traffic, run red lights, come within a couple inches of hitting other cars, pedistrians, and cyclists. The other very difficult thing about driving in Mexico City is the lack of signs, and confusing intersections. We got lost so much today which is scary in itself. Mexico is very colorful, which I like. Houses, shops, and even freeway signs are full of color. One interesting thing Cesar pointed out is that in America it is the rich people that live on hills (like in L.A.), but here the poorer people live on the hillsides. We drove through pretty poor neighborhoods, but not the poorest, and also some nicer ones too. We saw a building downtown that has a tree growing out of it. We also went to a cool mall and ate at the food court. There are people at street corners selling things which is to be expected, but what I did not expect was to see a few people in the middle of the freeway selling things! It is like people don't even look concerned if they are almost hit by a car. I also saw a few mothers with their babies selling things at street corners, I felt lucky and blessed to be able to stay home with Eli and not have to work. One of the moms was breast feeding her baby which was in a sling and selling pinantas at the same time! It was hot today too. Much different than the weather when we left Denver. I was wearing a thin long sleeve shirt and was wishing a had a short sleeve on.
Eli is soundly sleeping in the hotel room now and I will be going to sleep pretty soon too. It was a long tiring day!
1 comment:
Wow, it sounds like such a busy day! What a fun and memorable experience! Have fun!!
Post a Comment